Thursday, June 19, 2008

Responsability in a Psychic: In the News

A couple of people have asked me what I think about the psychic who told a teacher's assistant that her student (with a name starting with the letter V) was sexually abused. The TA then told a child protective agency, and havoc ensued.

As a 'psychic' (I haven't yet found a name that has no negative connotations so we'll use psychic) - I cringe when stuff like this happens. First of all, psychics that will only give you the first letter in some one's name.. well that's ridiculous to start off with. Perhaps these details were false.. but any psychic that just gives a first letter.. well they either are trying to reach through the haze of a tough reading, or the person is a fake that is cold reading (search Cold Readings in this site for more info on that).

Secondly, every psychic knows that not all readings are 100% accurate.. therefore we always should err on the side of caution. I would have said "keep an eye on this child, note any strange behavior, and at Parent Teacher meetings - talk to this child's parents."

Sure there are many people who say - if there's even a chance of abuse, it should be stated quickly and clearly! However, in today's society, even a hint of abuse sends child protective services out to check it out and even take the kids away from their parents. What if they aren't guilty and their kids get taken away? Trauma, heartbreak..

I wish I was healthier and able to convey my message more clearly, but I hope this is enough to answer this question. Did this psychic act wrongly? Yes, but so did his/her client. It takes two to tango in Tarot, but it always begins with a psychic who's too confident in his/her ability. We're never 100% right, otherwise we'd win the lottery (drool... I wish!) We must always remain humble and explore the situation fully before even saying what letter or letters the name starts with. You might see me think a lot during a reading, and that is a time when I am going through minute details in the reading before I give the information to you. And if ever all I give you is the first initial... well that'll make me sad. I prefer at least three to four letters, vagueness is the bane - careful humble common sense is the cure.

No comments: